Originated from the northeastern United States, around Pennsylvania, the apple dumpling recipe has spread over different parts of the world, making it a worldwide sensation.The food features the softness and gooeyness at the bottom while the crispness on top, and tastes like apple pie.
Today, it’s served as a preferred dessert paired with a number of foods, including ice cream, milk, cinnamon and brown sugar, thereby, can tantalize the taste buds of both kids and adults alike.
As there are many adaptations of the recipe for apple dumpling, in this article, we introduce the most common method to try right at your kitchen.
Apple DumplingCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
Originated from the northeastern United States, around Pennsylvania, the apple dumpling recipe has spread over different parts of the world, making it a worldwide sensation
- For dumpling
3 cups purpose flour
8 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
1 cup shortening
8 teaspoon butter
9 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar, divided
1/3 cup cold water
- For sauce
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water gradually in bowl and toss with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide the dough into eight portions. Cover and keep in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll each portion of dough between two lightly floured sheets of waxed paper into a 7-in. square.
- Place an apple on each square. Place 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar in the center of each apple.
- Gently bring up corners of pastry to each center, trimming any excess; pinch edges to seal. Transfer dumplings to a prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring just to a boil, stirring until blended. Pour over apples.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm.
- It’s worth mentioning that some people prefer pouring some drinks like 7-up, Mountain Dew, Sprite or ginger beer to the sides of the dumplings to form a nice crust while baking. If you are interested in, try some!
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories760
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 16g 80%
- Cholesterol 41mg 14%
- Sodium 465mg 20%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 4g 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.