Beef Stew With Dumpling
Recipe for dumpling stew or dumpling soup is popular over countries in which dumplings are highly consumed as a main dish. Aside from traditional forms of cooking like steaming, pan-frying, frying, and boiling, dumplings are also wonderful in a stew, commonly beef and chicken.
During autumn and winter days, it must be great to eat a rich beef stew with fluffy dumplings. The dish can warm up your body, fill your stomach, which of course is the basic need of food intake and tantalize your taste buds, making you watch the calories of your eating.
Here in this article, we introduce the best classic recipe for beef stew with dumplings. If you prefer enjoying a delicious mix of dumplings and beef, this recipe will be right up your street.
Beef Stew With DumplingCourse: Main CourseCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
Recipe for dumpling stew or dumpling soup is popular over countries in which dumplings are highly consumed as a main dish
- For the beef stew
1 kg beef stewing steak, chopped in bite-sized pieces
4 tbsp plain flour, to dust
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 medium parsnips, cut into large chunks (2.5cm)
2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks (2.5cm)
1 large leek, roughly chopped
3 tbsp tomato purée
200 ml red wine
600 ml beef stock
3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- For the dumplings
125g plain flour
1 tbsp dried parsley
Water, to make a dough
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan) mark 3.
- For the beef stew, heat the oil in a medium-large casserole and fry the beef until brown on both sides.
- Dust the beef with flour and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.Add onions and other vegetables and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato purée, wine, stock, rosemary in the pan, stir and season to taste as needed.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, transfer to the oven and cook until the beef is tender (about 3 hours).
- For the dumplings: sift the flour, suet, and parsley in a large bowl. Add enough water and stir well to form a thick dough.
- With floured hands, roll spoonfuls of the dough into small balls.
- After 3 hours, remove the lid from the stew, check the seasoning and discard the rosemary sprigs. Place dough balls on top of the stew (spacing apart).
- Return to the oven (without a lid) and cook for more 30 minutes or until the dumplings are lightly golden.
- Remove the stew from the oven and serve with mashed potatoes, if you like.