Chicken Soup With Dumplings
The recipe for chicken dumpling soup or chicken stew with dumplings has been familiar with those who are engaged in homemade dumplings as well as those who have a love for both chicken and dumplings alike. When served in soup, the dumplings offer such a good taste when paired with chicken.
If you prefer a new taste of dumplings, instead of the steamed, boiled, pan-fried or deep-fried one, you should chicken soup with dumplings a try, especially during cold days. It must be an ideal choice to warm up your body, then, give you some energy boost right away.
The following chicken dumpling soup recipe might be a bit time-consuming but it’s really a “worth-serving” appetizer for a weekend meal. Save it to make at home!
Chicken Soup With DumplingsCourse: Breakfast, AppetizersCuisine: American, FrenchDifficulty: Easy
The recipe for chicken dumpling soup or chicken stew with dumplings has been familiar with those who are engaged in homemade dumplings as well as those who have a love for both chicken and dumplings alike
- For the soup
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2-3 medium),
8 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
1/2 cup water + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour to thicken
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 large carrots (or 8-ish baby carrots), chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas
Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- For the dumplings
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- In a large pot (stockpot), heat the oil over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, onions, salt, pepper and thyme, sauté for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add in chicken broth and chicken. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is just cooked through and/or veggies are tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, allow it to cool and cut into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup flour until smooth. Whisking vigorously, gently add the mixture into the hot broth and stir until well blended.
- Add the frozen peas and cooked chicken in the soup. Bring the pot back to a simmer.
- To make the dumplings, mix all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add sour cream, milk and oil. Stir just until combined.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of dumpling dough into the boiling soup. Cover with a lid and simmer the soup and dumplings for 12-15 minutes.
- Add time if the dumplings haven’t cooked all the way or if they are bigger in size than teaspoon-sized portions.
- When the dumplings are thoroughly cooked, remove the lid and gently stir the dumplings to break them apart, if needed. Serve
- Aside from raw chicken, chicken dumpling soup can be made with leftover roasted chicken. By doing this, you can save the time of cooking while still offer its good taste.