Low-Carb Tortilla Pizza Crust
Swapping flour with cheese, eggs, psyllium husk powder and coconut flour, the following low-carb tortillas pizza recipe should definitely be added in the diet of low-carb, keto and gluten-free eaters, and even those who are living with diabetes. This pizza crust is not only healthy to these eaters but also a “mouth-watering” pizza of many kids and adults.
In this article, we recommend an easy recipe for low-carb tortilla pizza to try at home. If you are on this diet and prefer preparing food at home, you should give it a try.
Low-Carb Tortilla Pizza CrustCourse: Appetizers, SnacksCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Swapping flour with cheese, eggs, psyllium husk powder and coconut flour, the following low-carb tortillas pizza recipe should definitely be added in the diet of low-carb.
- For the crust
6 oz. cream cheese
2 egg whites
1 tsp ground psyllium husk powder
1 tbsp coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
- For the topping
2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp dried basil or dried oregano
salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and egg whites fluffy. Continue to whisk with a hand mixer for a few minutes. Add cream cheese and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- In another bowl, combine salt, psyllium husk and coconut flour. Add flour mixture into the batter (one spoon at a time); whisk until well blended. Set the batter aside for a few minutes, or until the batter is thick.
- Place parchment paper on 2 baking sheets. Using a spatula, spread the batter thinly (no more than ¼ inch thick) into 4–6 circles or 2 rectangles.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 5 minutes or more, until the tortilla turns a little brown around the edges. Carefully check the bottom side so that it doesn’t burn.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°F (225°C).
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste, sauce or ajvar (roasted red pepper sauce) evenly over each tortilla bread. Salt and pepper if needed.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese has melted. Remove, slice and serve.
- As providing up to 407 calories per serving, you should watch your intake if you do not follow a low-carb diet. Even when you are not a dieter, make sure to eat a proper amount.